Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to gowned: robing
1. A long loose flowing garment, such as a robe or nightgown.
2. A long, usually formal dress.
3. A robe or smock worn in operating rooms and other parts of hospitals as a guard against contamination.
4. A distinctive outer robe worn on ceremonial occasions, as by scholars or clerics.
5. The faculty and student body of a university: perfect accord between town and gown.
tr.v. gowned, gown·ing, gowns
To clothe (oneself or another) with a gown.
[Middle English goune, from Old French, from Late Latin gunna, leather garment.]