grab bag(redirected from grab bags)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms.
1. A container filled with articles, such as party gifts, to be drawn unseen.
2. Slang A miscellaneous collection: The meeting evolved into a grab bag of petty complaints.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a collection of miscellaneous things
2. US and Canadian and Austral a bag or other container from which gifts are drawn at random
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a bag or container from which a person, as at a party, draws a gift without knowing what it is.
2. any miscellaneous collection.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||grab bag - an assortment of miscellaneous items|
|2.||grab bag - a container from which a person draws a wrapped item at random without knowing the contents|
container - any object that can be used to hold things (especially a large metal boxlike object of standardized dimensions that can be loaded from one form of transport to another)
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.