Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of several blackbirds of the family Icteridae found throughout the Americas, especially those of the genus Quiscalus, having iridescent blackish plumage.
2. Any of several Asian mynas of the genus Gracula.
1. (Animals) Also called: crow blackbird any American songbird of the genera Quiscalus and Cassidix, having a dark iridescent plumage: family Icteridae (American orioles)
2. (Animals) any of various starlings of the genus Gracula, such as G. religiosa (Indian grackle or hill mynah)
[C18: from New Latin Grācula, from Latin grāculus jackdaw]
1. any of several long-tailed New World blackbirds, esp. of the genus Quiscalus, as the common North American species Q. quiscula, having iridescent black plumage.
2. any of several Old World birds of the family Sturnidae, esp. certain mynas.
[1765–75; < New Latin Gracula a genus of mynas < Latin grāculus jackdaw]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||grackle - glossy black Asiatic starling often taught to mimic speech|
|2.||grackle - long-tailed American blackbird having iridescent black plumage|
blackbird, New World blackbird - any bird of the family Icteridae whose male is black or predominantly black