Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A comprehensive tour or survey.
2. An extended tour of continental Europe formerly considered a finishing course in the education of young men of the English upper class.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Historical Terms) (formerly) an extended tour through the major cities of Europe, esp one undertaken by a rich or aristocratic Englishman to complete his education
2. informal an extended sightseeing trip, tour of inspection, etc
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. an extended tour of Europe, formerly regarded as beneficial to young British gentlemen.
2. an extended informative tour.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||grand tour - an extended cultural tour of Europe taken by wealthy young Englishmen (especially in the 18th century) as part of their education|
|2.||grand tour - a sightseeing tour of a building or institution|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.