Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The male grandparent of an animal, especially a domesticated animal such as a horse.
2. also grand·sir (-sər) Archaic
a. A grandfather.
b. A male ancestor; a forefather.
c. An old man.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. an archaic word for grandfather
2. (Music, other) bell-ringing a well-established method used in change-ringing. See method4
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Chiefly Dial. grandfather.
b. an aged man.
[1250–1300; Middle English graunt-sire < Anglo-French]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.