Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to grapnel: grapnel anchor
1. A small anchor with three or more flukes, especially one used for anchoring a small vessel. Also called grapple, grappling.
2. See grapple.
[Middle English grapenel, probably ultimately from Old French grapin, hook, diminutive of grape; see grape.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Tools) a device with a multiple hook at one end and attached to a rope, which is thrown or hooked over a firm mooring to secure an object attached to the other end of the rope
2. (Nautical Terms) a light anchor for small boats
[C14: from Old French grapin a little hook, from grape a hook; see grape]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
art at grassy(ˈgræp nl)
1. a device consisting of one or more hooks or clamps for grasping or holding; grapple; grappling iron.
2. a small anchor with three or more flukes used for grappling or dragging or for anchoring a small boat.
[1325–75; < Old French grapin, diminutive of grape hook, grape]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
In naval mine warfare, a device fitted to a mine mooring designed to grapple the sweep wire when the mooring is cut.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms. US Department of Defense 2005.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||grapnel - a tool consisting of several hooks for grasping and holding; often thrown with a rope|
tool - an implement used in the practice of a vocation
|2.||grapnel - a light anchor for small boats|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
grapnel[ˈgræpnəl] N → rezón m, arpeo m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007