greaseproof(redirected from greaseproofly)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. Soft or melted animal fat, especially after rendering.
2. A thick oil or viscous substance, especially when used as a lubricant.
a. The oily substance present in raw wool; suint.
b. Raw wool that has not been cleansed of this oily substance.
4. Slang Something, such as money or influence, that facilitates the attainment of an object or a desire: accepted some grease to fix the outcome of the race.
tr.v. (grēs, grēz) greased, greas·ing, greas·esIdiom:
1. To coat, smear, or soil with grease: greased the pie pan.
2. To lubricate with grease.
3. To facilitate the progress of.
4. Slang To kill. See Note at greasy.
grease (someone's) palm/hand Slang
[Middle English grese, from Anglo-Norman grece, from Vulgar Latin *crassia, from Latin crassus, fat, thick.]
resistant to penetration by greases and oils