Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to grenade: hand grenade
1. A small bomb or explosive missile that is detonated by a fuse and thrown by hand or shot from a rifle or launcher.
2. A glass container filled with a chemical such as tear gas that is dispersed when the container is thrown and broken.
[French, from Old French (pome) grenate, pomegranate (from its shape); see pomegranate.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) a small container filled with explosive thrown by hand or fired from a rifle
2. (Chemistry) a sealed glass vessel that is thrown and shatters to release chemicals, such as tear gas or a fire extinguishing agent
[C16: from French, from Spanish granada pomegranate, from Late Latin grānāta, from Latin grānātus seedy; see grain]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a small shell containing an explosive and thrown by hand or fired from a rifle or launching device.
2. a similar missile containing a chemical, as for dispersing tear gas or fire-extinguishing substances.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||grenade - a small explosive bomb thrown by hand or fired from a missile|
bomb - an explosive device fused to explode under specific conditions
hand grenade - a grenade designed to be thrown by hand
rifle grenade - a grenade that is thrown from a launching device attached to the barrel of a rifle
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
A. N (also hand grenade) → granada f
B. CPD grenade launcher N → lanzagranadas m inv
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
grenade[grɪˈneɪd] n (also hand grenade) → grenade f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Granate f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
a small bomb, especially one thrown by hand. granaat قُنْبُلَه ръчна граната/ granada granát die (Hand)Granate håndgranat χειροβομβίδαgranada granaat نارنجک kranaatti grenadeרימון बारूद का गोला granata, ručna bomba (kézi)gránát granat handsprengja granata 手りゅう弾 수류탄 granata granāta bom tangan handgranaatgranatgranat بم، لاس بم granada grenadă граната granát ročna granata granata granat, handgranat ระเบิดเล็ก el bombası 手榴彈 граната چھوٹا سا دستی بم lựu đạn 手榴弹
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.