grew(redirected from grews)
Also found in: Legal.
Past tense of grow.
the past tense of grow
v. grew, grown, grow•ing. v.i.
1. to increase in size by a natural process of development.
2. to come into being and develop: a plant that grows wild here.
3. to form and increase in size by a process of inorganic accretion, as by crystallization.
4. to arise or issue as a natural development: Our friendship grew from common interests.
5. to increase gradually in size, amount, etc.; expand: Her influence has grown.
6. to become gradually attached or united by or as if by growth.
7. to come to be by degrees; become: to grow old.v.t.
8. to cause to grow: They grow corn; to grow a business.
9. to allow to grow: to grow a beard.
10. to cover with a growth (used in the passive): a field grown with corn.
11. grow into,
a. to become large or tall enough to wear (an item of clothing).
b. to become mature or experienced enough to handle.
12. grow on or upon,
a. to increase in influence or effect.
b. to become gradually more liked or accepted by.
13. grow out of,
a. to become too large or mature for; outgrow.
b. to originate in; develop from.
14. grow up,
a. to be or become fully grown; attain maturity.
b. to come into existence; arise.
[before 900; Middle English; Old English grōwan, c. Middle Dutch groeyen, Old High German grouwan, Old Norse grōa]