gridiron(redirected from gridirons)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
a. The field of play.
b. The game itself.
2. A metal structure high above the stage of a theater, from which ropes or cables are strung to scenery and lights.
a. A flat framework of parallel metal bars used for broiling meat or fish.
b. An object resembling such a framework.
[Middle English gridirne, lattice, grill, alteration (influenced by iren, irne, iron) of gridere, alteration of gridel; see griddle.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
nOften shortened to: grid
1. (Cookery) a utensil of parallel metal bars, used to grill meat, fish, etc
2. any framework resembling this utensil
3. (Theatre) a framework above the stage in a theatre from which suspended scenery, lights, etc, are manipulated
4. (American Football)
a. the field of play in American football
b. an informal name for American football
c. (as modifier): a gridiron hero.
[C13 gredire, perhaps variant (through influence of ire iron) of gredile griddle]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a football field.
2. a utensil consisting of parallel metal bars on which to broil meat or other food.
3. any framework or network resembling a gridiron.
4. a structure above the stage of a theater, from which scenery and the like are manipulated.
6. to mark off into squares.
[1250–1300; Middle English gridirne, gridir(e), gridere, alter. of gridel griddle]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
The football field, marked with white lines.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gridiron - a cooking utensil of parallel metal bars; used to grill fish or meat|
|2.||gridiron - the playing field on which football is played|
football stadium - a stadium where football games are held
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
gridiron[ˈgrɪdaɪərn] n → gril m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
gridiron[ˈgrɪdˌaɪən] n → graticola
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995