Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a metal framework; perforated screen: The entrance had a decorative iron grille.
Not to be confused with:
grill – gridiron; barbecue; interrogate: The detective will grill him for hours to get to the facts.
grillealso grill (grĭl)
1. A grating of metal, wood, or another material used as a screen, divider, barrier, or decorative element, as in a window or on the front end of an automobile.
2. An opening covered with a grating.
[French, from Old French greille; see grill.]
1. (Building) Also called: grillwork a framework, esp of metal bars arranged to form an ornamental pattern, used as a screen or partition
2. (Automotive Engineering) Also called: radiator grille a grating, often chromium-plated, that admits cooling air to the radiator of a motor vehicle
3. (Furniture) a metal or wooden openwork grating used as a screen or divider
4. (Electronics) a protective screen, usually plastic or metal, in front of the loudspeaker in a radio, record player, etc
5. (Tennis) real tennis the opening in one corner of the receiver's end of the court
6. (Philately) a group of small pyramidal marks impressed in parallel rows into a stamp to prevent reuse
[C17: from Old French, from Latin crātīcula fine hurdlework, from crātis a hurdle]
1. a grating or openwork barrier, as for a gate, usu. of metal and often of decorative design.
2. an opening covered by grillwork for admitting air to cool the engine of an automobile or the like.
3. a perforated screen used to cover something, as a loudspeaker.
4. a ticket window covered by a grating.
[1655–65; < French, Old French; see grill1]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||grille - small opening (like a window in a door) through which business can be transacted|
opening - a vacant or unobstructed space that is man-made; "they left a small opening for the cat at the bottom of the door"
stump - (cricket) any of three upright wooden posts that form the wicket
|2.||grille - grating that admits cooling air to car's radiator|
auto, automobile, car, motorcar, machine - a motor vehicle with four wheels; usually propelled by an internal combustion engine; "he needs a car to get to work"
|3.||grille - a framework of metal bars used as a partition or a grate; "he cooked hamburgers on the grill"|
framework - a structure supporting or containing something