Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
tr.v. grilled, grill·ing, grills
1. To broil on a gridiron.
2. To torture or afflict as if by broiling.
3. Informal To question relentlessly; cross-examine.
4. To mark or emboss with a gridiron.
1. A cooking surface of parallel metal bars; a gridiron.
2. Food cooked by broiling or grilling.
3. An informal restaurant or a room in a restaurant where grilled foods are served. Also called grillroom.
4. A series of marks grilled or embossed on a surface.
5. Variant of grille.
[French griller, from gril, gridiron, from Old French greille, from Latin crātīcula; see griddle.]
informal an insistent or prolonged interrogation
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||grilling - cooking by direct exposure to radiant heat (as over a fire or under a grill)|