Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
v. griped, grip·ing, gripes
1. Informal To complain naggingly or petulantly; grumble.
2. To have sharp pains in the bowels.
1. Informal To irritate; annoy: Her petty complaints really gripe me.
2. To cause sharp pain in the bowels of.
3. To grasp; seize.
4. To oppress or afflict.
1. Informal A complaint.
2. gripes Sharp, spasmodic pains in the bowels.
3. A firm hold; a grasp.
4. A grip; a handle.
[Middle English gripen, to seize, from Old English grīpan.]
1. (intr) informal to complain, esp in a persistent nagging manner
2. (Pathology) to cause sudden intense pain in the intestines of (a person) or (of a person) to experience this pain
3. (Nautical Terms) (intr) nautical (of a ship) to tend to come up into the wind in spite of the helm
4. archaic to clutch; grasp
5. (tr) archaic to afflict
6. (Pathology) (usually plural) a sudden intense pain in the intestines; colic
7. informal a complaint or grievance
a. the act of gripping
b. a firm grip
c. a device that grips
9. (Nautical Terms) (in plural) nautical the lashings that secure a boat
[Old English grīpan; related to Gothic greipan, Old High German grīfan to seize, Lithuanian greibiu]
v. griped, grip•ing,
1. Informal. to complain naggingly or constantly; grumble.
2. to suffer pain in the bowels.v.t.
3. to seize and hold firmly; grasp; clutch.
4. to produce pain in (the bowels) as if by constriction.
5. to irritate: His tone gripes me.
6. to distress or oppress.n.
7. the act of gripping, grasping, or clutching.
8. Informal. a nagging complaint.
9. a firm hold; clutch.
10. grasp; hold; control.
11. something that grips or clutches; a claw or grip.
12. a handle or hilt.
13. Usu., gripes. an intermittent spasmodic pain in the bowels.
[1350–1400; Middle English; Old English grīpan, c. Old Saxon grīpan, Old High German grīfan, Old Norse grīpa, Gothic greipan; compare grip, grope]
Past participle: griped
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gripe - informal terms for objecting; "I have a gripe about the service here"|
objection - the speech act of objecting
|Verb||1.||gripe - complain; "What was he hollering about?"|
vi (inf: = grumble) → meckern (inf), → nörgeln; to gripe at somebody → jdn anmeckern (inf), → jdn anmotzen (inf)