Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
v. griped, grip·ing, gripes
1. Informal To complain naggingly or petulantly; grumble.
2. To have sharp pains in the bowels.
1. Informal To irritate; annoy: Her petty complaints really gripe me.
2. To cause sharp pain in the bowels of.
3. To grasp; seize.
4. To oppress or afflict.
1. Informal A complaint.
2. gripes Sharp, spasmodic pains in the bowels.
3. A firm hold; a grasp.
4. A grip; a handle.
[Middle English gripen, to seize, from Old English grīpan.]
informal the act of complaining
sudden and intense: griping pains in her stomach.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||griping - acute abdominal pain (especially in infants)|
lead colic, painter's colic - symptom of chronic lead poisoning and associated with obstinate constipation