Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to gritting: gritting teeth
1. Minute rough granules, as of sand or stone.
2. The texture or fineness of sand or stone used in grinding.
3. A coarse hard sandstone used for making grindstones and millstones.
4. Informal Indomitable spirit; pluck.
v. grit·ted, grit·ting, grits
1. To clamp (the teeth) together.
2. To cover or treat with grit.
To make a grinding noise.
[Middle English gret, sand, from Old English grēot.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
a. the spreading of grit on road surfaces to render them less slippery for vehicles during icy weather
b. (as modifier): gritting lorries.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014