Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Anatomy The crease or hollow at the junction of the inner part of each thigh with the trunk, together with the adjacent region and often including the external genitals.
2. Architecture The curved edge at the junction of two intersecting vaults.
tr.v. groined, groin·ing, groins
To provide or build with groins.
[Alteration (influenced by loin) of Middle English grinde, perhaps from Old English grynde, abyss, hollow.]
A small jetty extending from a shore to protect a beach against erosion or to trap shifting sands.
[Early Modern English groyne, ultimately (via Middle French groin, snout, promontory, headland, and Middle English groin, snout) from Old French groin, snout, promontory, from Late Latin grunium, snout, from Vulgar Latin *grunīre, to grunt, variant of Latin grunnīre, to grunt.]
1. (Anatomy) the depression or fold where the legs join the abdomen.
2. (Anatomy) euphemistic the genitals, esp the testicles
3. (Physical Geography) a variant spelling (esp US) of groyne
4. (Architecture) architect a curved arris formed where two intersecting vaults meet
(Architecture) (tr) architect to provide or construct with groins
[C15: perhaps from English grynde abyss; related to ground1]
1. the fold or hollow where the thigh joins the abdomen.
2. the general region of this fold or hollow.
3. Archit. the curved line or edge formed by the intersection of two vaults.
4. Also, groyne. a small jetty extending from a shore to prevent beach erosion.v.t.
5. Archit. to form with groins.
[1350–1400; earlier grine, Middle English grinde; compare Old English grynde abyss, akin to grund bottom, ground1]
Past participle: groined
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||groin - the crease at the junction of the inner part of the thigh with the trunk together with the adjacent region and often including the external genitals|
region, area - a part of an animal that has a special function or is supplied by a given artery or nerve; "in the abdominal region"
loins - the region of the hips and groin and lower abdomen
|2.||groin - a curved edge formed by two intersecting vaults|
edge - a sharp side formed by the intersection of two surfaces of an object; "he rounded the edges of the box"
|3.||groin - a protective structure of stone or concrete; extends from shore into the water to prevent a beach from washing away|
barrier - a structure or object that impedes free movement
|Verb||1.||groin - build with groins; "The ceiling was groined"|
construction, building - the act of constructing something; "during the construction we had to take a detour"; "his hobby was the building of boats"
groin[grɔɪn] N (Anat) → ingle f
groin[grɔɪn] n → inguine m
the part of the front of the body where the inner part of the thigh joins the rest of the body. lies زاويَه بارزَه слабина virilha tříslo die Leistengegend lyske βουβωνική χώρα, αχαμνά ingle kube کشاله ران nivuset aine מִפשָׂעָה जांघ के बीच की जगह slabina ágyék kelangkang nári inguine またのつけ根 서혜부(鼠蹊部) kirkšnis cirksnis groin lieslyske, skrittkrocze غه ځاى چې ورون له بدن سره نښلوى او مجوف ( تش ) وى virilha vintre пах slabina dimlje prepone ljumske, skrev ขาหนีบ kasık 腹股溝，鼠蹊部 пах جانگھ háng 腹股沟