Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to ground zero: World Trade Center
1. The target of a projectile, such as a missile or bomb.
a. The site of a terrorist bombing or other violent act of destruction.
b. The site directly below, directly above, or at the point of detonation of a nuclear weapon.
3. The center of rapid or intense development or change: "The neighborhood scarcely existed five years ago, but today it is the ground zero from which designer shops and restaurants radiate" (Robert Clark).
4. The starting point or most basic level: My client didn't like my preliminary designs, so I returned to ground zero.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Military) a point on the surface of land or water at or directly above or below the centre of a nuclear explosion
2. a scene of great devastation
3. (Placename) (sometimes capitals) the name given to the devastated site of the collapsed World Trade Center towers in New York after September 11 2001
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the point on the surface of the earth or water directly below, directly above, or at which an atomic or hydrogen bomb explodes.
2. Informal. the most elementary level.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
The point on the surface of the Earth at, or vertically below or above, the center of a planned or actual nuclear detonation. See also actual ground zero; desired ground zero.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms. US Department of Defense 2005.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ground zero - the target of a projectile (as a bomb or missile)|
|2.||ground zero - the site of the World Trade Center before it was destroyed|
|3.||ground zero - the point of detonation (or above or below) of a nuclear weapon|
point - the precise location of something; a spatially limited location; "she walked to a point where she could survey the whole street"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.