Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Variant of grommet.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Mechanical Engineering) another word for grommet
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
grom•met(ˈgrɒm ɪt, ˈgrʌm-)
n., v. -met•ed, -met•ing. n.
1. any of various rings or washers, esp. one used as an insulator or gasket or as an eyelet protecting material where a rope passes.
2. a ring of rope or wire used to secure sails, oars, etc.
3. a washer or packing for sealing joints between sections of pipe.
4. a metal-bound eyelet in cloth, sometimes used decoratively, as on a garment.v.t.
5. to fasten with a grommet.
[1620–30; < obsolete French gromette curb of bridle, of uncertain orig.]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||grummet - fastener consisting of a metal ring for lining a small hole to permit the attachment of cords or lines|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.