Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Variant of grommet.
(Mechanical Engineering) another word for grommet
grom•met(ˈgrɒm ɪt, ˈgrʌm-)
n., v. -met•ed, -met•ing. n.
1. any of various rings or washers, esp. one used as an insulator or gasket or as an eyelet protecting material where a rope passes.
2. a ring of rope or wire used to secure sails, oars, etc.
3. a washer or packing for sealing joints between sections of pipe.
4. a metal-bound eyelet in cloth, sometimes used decoratively, as on a garment.v.t.
5. to fasten with a grommet.
[1620–30; < obsolete French gromette curb of bridle, of uncertain orig.]