Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Informal Filth; dirt.
2. Rock music that incorporates elements of punk rock and heavy metal, often expressing a bleak or nihilistic outlook.
[Back-formation from grungy.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. slang US dirt or rubbish
2. (Music, other) a style of rock music originating in the US in the late 1980s, featuring a distorted guitar sound
3. (Clothing & Fashion) a deliberately untidy and uncoordinated fashion style
[C20: possibly a coinage imitating grime + sludge]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. dirt; filth; rubbish.
2. something of inferior quality.
3. a style or fashion derived from a movement in rock music: in fashion characterized by unkempt clothing and in music by aggressive, nihilistic songs.
[1960–65; expressive coinage]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A fusion of rock and punk music that became popular in the 1990s.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||grunge - the state of being covered with unclean things|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
grunge[ˈgrʌndʒ] n (= musical style) → grunge m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Grunge nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
grunge[grʌndʒ] n (Mus) → grunge m; (style) → moda grunge
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995