guaranty(redirected from guarantying)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to guarantying: guaranteeing
a warrant; pledge; something taken as security: He left his gold watch as a guaranty that he would bring the car back.
Not to be confused with:
guarantee – a promise or assurance of quality or durability: It has a one-year guarantee that covers parts and labor.
n. pl. guar·an·ties
1. A promise to be answerable for the debt or obligation of another in the event of nonpayment or nonperformance.
a. Something given as security for the execution, completion, or existence of something else.
b. The act of providing such security.
a. A guarantee, as for a product or service: a new refrigerator still under guaranty.
b. A guarantee to perform something in a specified way.
4. A guarantee serving to assure a particular outcome or condition.
5. A guarantor.
tr.v. guar·an·tied, guar·an·ty·ing, guar·an·ties
1. To provide a guaranty for.
2. To guarantee.
n, pl -ties
1. a pledge of responsibility for fulfilling another person's obligations in case of that person's default
2. a thing given or taken as security for a guaranty
3. the act of providing security
4. (Law) a person who acts as a guarantor
vb, -ties, -tying or -tied
a variant of guarantee
[C16: from Old French garantie, variant of warantie, of Germanic origin; see warranty]
n., pl. -ties, n.
1. a warrant, pledge, or formal assurance given as security that another's obligation will be fulfilled.
2. something that is taken or given as security.
3. the act of giving security.
4. a person who acts as a guarantor.v.t.
Past participle: guarantied
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||guaranty - a collateral agreement to answer for the debt of another in case that person defaults|
collateral - a security pledged for the repayment of a loan
1. Something given to guarantee the repayment of a loan or the fulfillment of an obligation:
2. An assumption of responsibility, as one given by a manufacturer, for the quality, worth, or durability of a product:
3. A declaration that one will or will not do a certain thing: