Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. A post with a sign giving directions for travelers, usually placed at a crossroad.
2. Something that serves as a guide or an example; a guideline.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a sign on a post by a road indicating directions
2. a principle or guideline
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a post bearing a sign for the guidance of travelers, as at the intersection of two roads.
2. anything serving as a guide; guideline.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||guidepost - a rule or principle that provides guidance to appropriate behavior|
|2.||guidepost - a post bearing a sign that gives directions or shows the way|
sign - a public display of a message; "he posted signs in all the shop windows"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.