Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to guimpe: gimp
1. A blouse worn under a jumper.
2. A yoke insert for a low-necked dress.
3. A starched cloth covering the neck and shoulders as part of a nun's habit.
4. See gimp1.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a short blouse with sleeves worn under a pinafore dress
2. (Clothing & Fashion) a fill-in for a low-cut dress
3. (Clothing & Fashion) a piece of starched cloth covering the chest and shoulders of a nun's habit
4. (Textiles) a variant spelling of gimp1
[C19: variant of gimp]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a chemisette or yoke of lace, net, or the like for filling in the neckline of a low-cut dress.
2. a short blouse, usu. with sleeves, worn under a jumper or pinafore.
3. a wide, stiffly starched cloth covering the neck and shoulders, worn as part of the habit by certain orders of nuns.
4. gimp 1.
[1840–50; see gimp1]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||guimpe - a piece of starched cloth covering the shoulders of a nun's habit|
nun's habit - a long loose habit worn by nuns in a convent
|2.||guimpe - a short blouse with sleeves that is worn under a jumper or pinafore dress|
blouse - a top worn by women
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.