Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
v. gulped, gulp·ing, gulps
1. To swallow greedily or rapidly in large amounts: gulp down coffee.
2. To choke back by or as if by swallowing.
1. To choke or gasp, as in swallowing large amounts of liquid.
2. To swallow air audibly, as in nervousness.
1. The act of gulping.
2. A large amount swallowed at one time.
[From Middle English gulpen or from Flemish or Dutch gulpen.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.