Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
v. gulped, gulp·ing, gulps
1. To swallow greedily or rapidly in large amounts: gulp down coffee.
2. To choke back by or as if by swallowing.
1. To choke or gasp, as in swallowing large amounts of liquid.
2. To swallow air audibly, as in nervousness.
1. The act of gulping.
2. A large amount swallowed at one time.
[From Middle English gulpen or from Flemish or Dutch gulpen.]
characterized by the noise made when gulping air
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gulping - a spasmodic reflex of the throat made as if in swallowing|
|2.||gulping - the drinking of large mouthfuls rapidly|