Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
v. gulped, gulp·ing, gulps
1. To swallow greedily or rapidly in large amounts: gulp down coffee.
2. To choke back by or as if by swallowing.
1. To choke or gasp, as in swallowing large amounts of liquid.
2. To swallow air audibly, as in nervousness.
1. The act of gulping.
2. A large amount swallowed at one time.
[From Middle English gulpen or from Flemish or Dutch gulpen.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
characterized by the noise made when gulping air
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gulping - a spasmodic reflex of the throat made as if in swallowing|
|2.||gulping - the drinking of large mouthfuls rapidly|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.