Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Wikipedia.
1. A sneaker or rubber overshoe.
2. Slang An investigator, especially a detective.
intr.v. gum·shoed, gum·shoe·ing, gum·shoes Slang
1. To work as a detective.
2. To move about stealthily; sneak.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a waterproof overshoe
2. (Clothing & Fashion) US and Canadian a rubber-soled shoe
3. slang US and Canadian a detective or one who moves about stealthily
4. slang US and Canadian a stealthy action or movement
vb, -shoes, -shoeing or -shoed
(intr) slang US and Canadian to act stealthily
1. Slang. a detective.
2. a rubber overshoe.v.i.
3. Slang. to work as a detective.
Past participle: gumshoed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gumshoe - someone who is a detective |
colloquialism - a colloquial expression; characteristic of spoken or written communication that seeks to imitate informal speech
|2.||gumshoe - a waterproof overshoe that protects shoes from water or snow|
overshoe - footwear that protects your shoes from water or snow or cold