Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Wikipedia.
1. A sneaker or rubber overshoe.
2. Slang An investigator, especially a detective.
intr.v. gum·shoed, gum·shoe·ing, gum·shoes Slang
1. To work as a detective.
2. To move about stealthily; sneak.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a waterproof overshoe
2. (Clothing & Fashion) US and Canadian a rubber-soled shoe
3. slang US and Canadian a detective or one who moves about stealthily
4. slang US and Canadian a stealthy action or movement
vb, -shoes, -shoeing or -shoed
(intr) slang US and Canadian to act stealthily
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Slang. a detective.
2. a rubber overshoe.v.i.
3. Slang. to work as a detective.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: gumshoed
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gumshoe - someone who is a detective |
colloquialism - a colloquial expression; characteristic of spoken or written communication that seeks to imitate informal speech
|2.||gumshoe - a waterproof overshoe that protects shoes from water or snow|
overshoe - footwear that protects your shoes from water or snow or cold
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.