Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An alloy of copper with 10 percent tin.
2. Metal used for guns.
3. A dark gray.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Metallurgy) a type of bronze containing copper (88 per cent), tin (8–10 per cent), and zinc (2–4 per cent): used for parts that are subject to wear or to corrosion, esp by sea water
2. (Metallurgy) any of various dark grey metals used for toys, belt buckles, etc
a. a dark grey colour with a purplish or bluish tinge
b. (as adjective): gunmetal chiffon.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
or gun′ met`al,
1. any of various alloys or metallic substances with a dark gray or blackish color or finish.
2. Also called gun′metal gray′. a dark gray with bluish or purplish tinge.
3. a bronze formerly much used for cannon.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gunmetal - a type of bronze used for parts subject to wear or corrosion (especially corrosion by sea water)|
bronze - an alloy of copper and tin and sometimes other elements; also any copper-base alloy containing other elements in place of tin
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.