Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An alloy of copper with 10 percent tin.
2. Metal used for guns.
3. A dark gray.
1. (Metallurgy) a type of bronze containing copper (88 per cent), tin (8–10 per cent), and zinc (2–4 per cent): used for parts that are subject to wear or to corrosion, esp by sea water
2. (Metallurgy) any of various dark grey metals used for toys, belt buckles, etc
a. a dark grey colour with a purplish or bluish tinge
b. (as adjective): gunmetal chiffon.
or gun′ met`al,
1. any of various alloys or metallic substances with a dark gray or blackish color or finish.
2. Also called gun′metal gray′. a dark gray with bluish or purplish tinge.
3. a bronze formerly much used for cannon.