Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to halcyon: Halcyon Days
1. Calm and peaceful; tranquil.
2. Prosperous; golden: halcyon years.
1. A fabled bird, identified with the kingfisher, that was supposed to have had the power to calm the wind and the waves while it nested on the sea during the winter solstice.
2. A kingfisher, especially one of the genus Halcyon.
[Middle English alcioun, mythical halcyon bird, from Latin alcyōn, halcyōn, from Greek halkuōn, alteration (influenced by hals, salt, sea, and kuōn, conceiving) of alkuōn, probably from a pre-Greek Mediterranean language .]
1. peaceful, gentle, and calm
2. happy and carefree
3. (Classical Myth & Legend) Greek myth a fabulous bird associated with the winter solstice
4. (Animals) a poetic name for the kingfisher
5. halcyon days
a. a fortnight of calm weather during the winter solstice
b. a period of peace and happiness
[C14: from Latin alcyon, from Greek alkuōn kingfisher, of uncertain origin]
hal•cy•on(ˈhæl si ən)
1. calm; peaceful; tranquil: halcyon weather.
2. prosperous: halcyon years.
3. happy; joyful; carefree: halcyon days of youth.
4. of or pertaining to the halcyon or kingfisher.n.
5. a bird of classical legend, identified with the kingfisher, that was said to magically calm the waves when it nested on the surface of the sea.
6. any of various kingfishers, esp. of the genus Halcyon.
[1350–1400; Middle English alceon, alicion < Latin (h)alcyōn < Greek halkyṓn]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Halcyon - (Greek mythology) a woman who was turned into a kingfisher|
Greek mythology - the mythology of the ancient Greeks
|2.||Halcyon - a large kingfisher widely distributed in warmer parts of the Old World|
bird genus - a genus of birds
|3.||halcyon - a mythical bird said to breed at the time of the winter solstice in a nest floating on the sea and to have the power of calming the winds and waves|
mythical being - an imaginary being of myth or fable
|Adj.||1.||halcyon - idyllically calm and peaceful; suggesting happy tranquillity; "a halcyon atmosphere"|
|2.||halcyon - marked by peace and prosperity; "a golden era"; "the halcyon days of the clipper trade"|
happy - enjoying or showing or marked by joy or pleasure; "a happy smile"; "spent many happy days on the beach"; "a happy marriage"