half-length(redirected from half-lengths)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
half-length(hăf′lĕngkth′, -lĕngth′, lĕnth′, häf′-)
A portrait that shows only the upper half and hands of a person.
1. Of or relating to a half-length portrait.
2. Of half the full length.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Art Terms) (of a portrait) showing only the body from the waist up and including the hands
2. of half the entire or original length
(Art Terms) a half-length portrait
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. something that is only half a full length or height, esp. a portrait of the upper half of the body, including the hands.adj.
2. of half the complete length or height.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||half-length - a portrait showing the body from only the waist up|
|Adj.||1.||half-length - representing only the upper half of the body; "a half-length portrait"|
|2.||half-length - abridged to half its original length|
abridged - (used of texts) shortened by condensing or rewriting; "an abridged version"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.