Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The moon when only half its disk is illuminated.
2. Something that is shaped like a half circle or a crescent, such as the lunula of a fingernail.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Astronomy) the moon at first or last quarter when half its face is illuminated
2. (Astronomy) the time at which a half-moon occurs
a. something shaped like a half-moon
b. (as modifier): half-moon spectacles.
4. (Anatomy) anatomy a nontechnical name for lunula
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the moon when, at either quadrature, half its disk is illuminated.
2. the phase of the moon at this time.
3. something having the shape of a half-moon or crescent.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||half-moon - the crescent-shaped area at the base of the human fingernail|
region, area - a part of an animal that has a special function or is supplied by a given artery or nerve; "in the abdominal region"
nail - horny plate covering and protecting part of the dorsal surface of the digits
|2.||half-moon - the time at which the Moon is at first or last quarter when half its face is illuminated|
month - a time unit of approximately 30 days; "he was given a month to pay the bill"
phase of the moon - a time when the Moon presents a particular recurring appearance
first quarter - the first fourth of the Moon's period of revolution around the Earth
last quarter - the last fourth of the Moon's period of revolution around the Earth
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
half-moon[ˈhɑːfˈmuːn] N → media luna f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995