halfback(redirected from halfbacks)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to halfbacks: tailback
n. Abbr. HB
1. Football One of the running backs positioned to the sides behind the quarterback when the ball is snapped.
2. Sports One of several players stationed behind the forward line, as in soccer or Rugby.
1. (Soccer) rugby either the scrum half or the stand-off half
2. (Rugby) rugby either the scrum half or the stand-off half
3. (Soccer) soccer old-fashioned any of three players positioned behind the line of forwards and in front of the fullbacks
4. (Soccer) any of certain similar players in other team sports
5. (Rugby) any of certain similar players in other team sports
6. (Soccer) the position of a player who is halfback
7. (Rugby) the position of a player who is halfback
a. one of two backs who typically line up on each side of the fullback.
b. the position played by such a back.
2. (in soccer, Rugby, field hockey, etc.) a player stationed near the forward line to carry out chiefly offensive duties.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||halfback - (football) the running back who plays the offensive halfback position|
football, football game - any of various games played with a ball (round or oval) in which two teams try to kick or carry or propel the ball into each other's goal
running back - (football) a back on the offensive team (a fullback or halfback) who tries to advance the ball by carrying it on plays from the line of scrimmage
|2.||halfback - (American football) the position of a back on a football team|
back - (American football) the position of a player on a football team who is stationed behind the line of scrimmage