halter(redirected from haltering)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to haltering: halting
1. A device made of rope or straps that fits around the head of an animal and is used to lead or secure the animal.
a. A rope with a noose used for execution by hanging.
b. Death or execution by hanging.
3. A garment having a front supported by a strap or straps running behind the neck, leaving the arms, shoulders, and back bare.
Of, relating to, or being a garment having a front that is supported by a strap or straps running behind the neck: a halter dress.
tr.v. hal·tered, hal·ter·ing, hal·ters
1. To put a halter on.
2. To control with or as if with a halter.
3. Archaic To hang (someone).
[Middle English, from Old English hælftre.]
hal·ter 2(hôl′tər, hăl′-) or hal·ter·e (hôl′tîr′ē, hăl′-)
n. pl. hal·ter·es (-tîr′ēz)
Either of the small, clublike balancing organs that are the rudimentary hind wings of flies. Also called balancer.
1. (Horse Training, Riding & Manège) a rope or canvas headgear for a horse, usually with a rope for leading
2. (Clothing & Fashion) Also called: halterneck a style of woman's top fastened behind the neck and waist, leaving the back and arms bare
3. a rope having a noose for hanging a person
4. death by hanging
5. to secure with a halter or put a halter on
6. to hang (someone)
[Old English hælfter; related to Old High German halftra, Middle Dutch heliftra]
1. a rope or strap with a noose or headstall for leading or restraining horses or cattle.
2. a rope with a noose for hanging criminals; the hangman's noose.
3. death by hanging.
4. a woman's top, secured behind the neck and across the back, leaving the arms, shoulders, upper back, and often the midriff bare.v.t.
5. to restrain as by a halter.
6. to hang (a person).adj.
7. being or having a neckline formed by straps that extend from the front of a backless, sleeveless bodice and are secured around the neck.
[before 1000; Middle English; Old English hælfter]
n., pl. hal•te•res (hælˈtɪər iz)
one of a pair of small knobbed appendages of dipterous flies, evolved from a second pair of wings and used for balance.Also called balancer.
[1820–30; < Latin haltēr jumping weight < Greek háltēr, akin to hállesthai, Latin salīre to jump]
Past participle: haltered
A type of women’s top that ties behind the neck and leaves the back bare.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||halter - rope or canvas headgear for a horse, with a rope for leading|
harness - stable gear consisting of an arrangement of leather straps fitted to a draft animal so that it can be attached to and pull a cart
headgear - stable gear consisting of any part of a harness that fits about the horse's head
|2.||halter - a rope that is used by a hangman to execute persons who have been condemned to death by hanging|
gallows - an instrument of execution consisting of a wooden frame from which a condemned person is executed by hanging
running noose, slip noose, noose - a loop formed in a cord or rope by means of a slipknot; it binds tighter as the cord or rope is pulled
rope - a strong line
|3.||halter - a woman's top that fastens behind the back and neck leaving the back and arms uncovered|
top - a garment (especially for women) that extends from the shoulders to the waist or hips; "he stared as she buttoned her top"
|4.||halter - either of the rudimentary hind wings of dipterous insects; used for maintaining equilibrium during flight|
wing - a movable organ for flying (one of a pair)
|Verb||1.||halter - hang with a halter|
|2.||halter - prevent the progress or free movement of; "He was hampered in his efforts by the bad weather"; "the imperialist nation wanted to strangle the free trade between the two small countries"|
halter[ˈhɔːltər] n (for horse) → licou m
halter[ˈhɔːltəʳ] n (for horse) → cavezza
a rope for holding and leading a horse by its head. halter مِقْوَد، رَسَن юзда cabresto ohlávka das Halfter grime καπίστριcabestro, ronzal päitsed افسار riimunvarsi licouאפסר घोड़े की लगाम ular, povodac kötőfék penambat múll cavezza, capestro 端綱 (말, 소 등의) 굴레 pavadis pavada tali kajai halstergrime kantar ترسيرى ، اوسار:زندۍ cabresto căpăstru повод ohlávka povodec ular grimma เชือกผูกคอสัตว์ โดยเฉพาะม้า yular (馬等的)籠頭 недоуздок, повід لگام dây thòng lọng （马等的）笼头