Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The head of a hammer.
2. Any of several predatory sharks of the genus Sphyrna, having the sides of the head elongated into fleshy extensions with the eyes at the ends.
3. A wading bird (Scopus umbretta) of Africa and Arabia, having brown plumage, a large bladelike bill, and a long backward-pointing crest. Also called hamerkop.
4. An African fruit bat (Hypsignathus monstrosus), the male of which has a distinctive enlarged head.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Animals) any shark of the genus Sphyrna and family Sphyrnidae, having a flattened hammer-shaped head
2. (Animals) a heavily built tropical African wading bird, Scopus umbretta, related to the herons, having a dark plumage and a long backward-pointing crest: family Scopidae, order Ciconiiformes
3. (Animals) a large African fruit bat, Hypsignathus monstrosus, with a large square head and hammer-shaped muzzle
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the part of a hammer designed for striking.
2. any shark of the genus Sphyrna, having a mallet-shaped head with an eye at each end.
3. Also called ham•mer•kop (ˈhæm ərˌkɒp) a brown wading bird of Africa, Scopus umbretta, with a stout bill and crested head.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hammerhead - a stupid person; these words are used to express a low opinion of someone's intelligence|
blockhead, bonehead, dumbass, dunce, dunderhead, fuckhead, knucklehead, loggerhead, lunkhead, muttonhead, numskull, shithead
|2.||hammerhead - the striking part of a hammer|
hammer - a hand tool with a heavy rigid head and a handle; used to deliver an impulsive force by striking
head - the striking part of a tool; "the head of the hammer"
peen - the part of a hammerhead opposite the flat striking surface (may have various shapes)
|3.||hammerhead - medium-sized live-bearing shark with eyes at either end of a flattened hammer-shaped head; worldwide in warm waters; can be dangerous|
shark - any of numerous elongate mostly marine carnivorous fishes with heterocercal caudal fins and tough skin covered with small toothlike scales
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995