Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The head of a hammer.
2. Any of several predatory sharks of the genus Sphyrna, having the sides of the head elongated into fleshy extensions with the eyes at the ends.
3. A wading bird (Scopus umbretta) of Africa and Arabia, having brown plumage, a large bladelike bill, and a long backward-pointing crest. Also called hamerkop.
4. An African fruit bat (Hypsignathus monstrosus), the male of which has a distinctive enlarged head.
1. (Animals) any shark of the genus Sphyrna and family Sphyrnidae, having a flattened hammer-shaped head
2. (Animals) a heavily built tropical African wading bird, Scopus umbretta, related to the herons, having a dark plumage and a long backward-pointing crest: family Scopidae, order Ciconiiformes
3. (Animals) a large African fruit bat, Hypsignathus monstrosus, with a large square head and hammer-shaped muzzle
1. the part of a hammer designed for striking.
2. any shark of the genus Sphyrna, having a mallet-shaped head with an eye at each end.
3. Also called ham•mer•kop (ˈhæm ərˌkɒp) a brown wading bird of Africa, Scopus umbretta, with a stout bill and crested head.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hammerhead - a stupid person; these words are used to express a low opinion of someone's intelligence|
blockhead, bonehead, dumbass, dunce, dunderhead, fuckhead, knucklehead, loggerhead, lunkhead, muttonhead, numskull, shithead
|2.||hammerhead - the striking part of a hammer|
hammer - a hand tool with a heavy rigid head and a handle; used to deliver an impulsive force by striking
head - the striking part of a tool; "the head of the hammer"
peen - the part of a hammerhead opposite the flat striking surface (may have various shapes)
|3.||hammerhead - medium-sized live-bearing shark with eyes at either end of a flattened hammer-shaped head; worldwide in warm waters; can be dangerous|
shark - any of numerous elongate mostly marine carnivorous fishes with heterocercal caudal fins and tough skin covered with small toothlike scales