Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A game that is played, often on a four-walled court, by two or more players who alternately hit a small rubber ball against the front wall with the hand, with play stopping if the ball bounces twice on the floor or does not reach the front wall.
b. The ball used in this game.
2. Team handball.
3. often hand ball A violation of the rules in soccer in which a player other than the goalie inside the penalty area carries, strikes, or propels the ball with the hand or arm. A hand ball is usually called when the hand or arm is away from the body and touches the ball.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Team Sports, other than specified) a game in which two teams of seven players try to throw a ball into their opponent's goal
2. (Team Sports, other than specified) a game in which two or four people strike a ball against a wall or walls with the hand, usually gloved
3. (Team Sports, other than specified) the small hard rubber ball used in this game
4. (Soccer) soccer the offence committed when a player other than a goalkeeper in his own penalty area touches the ball with a hand
(Australian Rules Football) Australian rules football to pass (the ball) with a blow of the fist
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a game, similar to squash, played by two or four persons who strike a ball against a wall or walls with the hand.
2. the small, hard rubber ball used in this game.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: handballed
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Foul committed by a player who deliberately touches the ball with a hand or arm.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||handball - a small rubber ball used in playing the game of handball|
ball - round object that is hit or thrown or kicked in games; "the ball travelled 90 mph on his serve"; "the mayor threw out the first ball"; "the ball rolled into the corner pocket"
|2.||handball - a game played in a walled court or against a single wall by two or four players who strike a rubber ball with their hands|
court game - an athletic game played on a court
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
môn bóng ném
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
handball[ˈhændˌbɔːl] n → pallamano f
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
handball→ كُرَةُ اليَدّ házená håndbold Handball χάντμπολ balonmano käsipallo handball rukomet pallamano ハンドボール 핸드볼 handbal håndball piłka ręczna handebol гандбол handboll กีฬาตีลูกด้วยมือ hentbol môn bóng ném 手球
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009