Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a hat made of a hard material for protection, worn esp by construction workers, equestrians, etc
2. (Building) informal chiefly US and Canadian a construction worker
informal chiefly US characteristic of the presumed conservative attitudes and prejudices typified by construction workers
1. a protective helmet of metal or plastic, esp. as worn by construction or factory workers.
2. a construction worker, esp. a member of a construction workers' union.
3. Informal. a working-class conservative.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hard hat - a worker skilled in building offices or dwellings etc.|
|2.||hard hat - a lightweight protective helmet (plastic or metal) worn by construction workers|
helmet - a protective headgear made of hard material to resist blows