Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a hat made of a hard material for protection, worn esp by construction workers, equestrians, etc
2. (Building) informal chiefly US and Canadian a construction worker
informal chiefly US characteristic of the presumed conservative attitudes and prejudices typified by construction workers
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a protective helmet of metal or plastic, esp. as worn by construction or factory workers.
2. a construction worker, esp. a member of a construction workers' union.
3. Informal. a working-class conservative.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hard hat - a worker skilled in building offices or dwellings etc.|
|2.||hard hat - a lightweight protective helmet (plastic or metal) worn by construction workers|
helmet - a protective headgear made of hard material to resist blows
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.