Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Wikipedia.
Related to hardball: play hardball
2. Informal The use of any means, however ruthless, to attain an objective.
1. (Baseball) US and Canadian baseball as distinct from softball
2. play hardball informal chiefly US and Canadian to act in a ruthless or uncompromising way
1. baseball, as distinguished from softball.adj.
2. tough or ruthless: hardball politics.
3. outspoken, challenging, or difficult: hardball questions.Idioms:
play hardball, to be aggressive and ruthless in one's dealings.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hardball - a no-nonsense attitude in business or politics; "they play hardball in the Senate"|
|2.||hardball - baseball as distinguished from softball|
baseball, baseball game - a ball game played with a bat and ball between two teams of nine players; teams take turns at bat trying to score runs; "he played baseball in high school"; "there was a baseball game on every empty lot"; "there was a desire for National League ball in the area"; "play ball!"