Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to harrier: Harrier Jump Jet
1. One that harries.
2. Any of various slender, narrow-winged hawks of the genus Circus that are found worldwide and prey on small animals.
1. A dog of a breed developed in England to hunt hares and rabbits, similar in appearance to but smaller than the English foxhound.
2. A cross-country runner.
[Middle English hairer, eirer, possibly alteration (influenced by hair, hare, hare) of Old French errier, wanderer, from errer, to wander; see err.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a person or thing that harries
1. (Breeds) a smallish breed of hound used originally for hare-hunting
2. (Athletics (Track & Field)) a cross-country runner
[C16: from hare + -er1; influenced by harrier1]
(Aeronautics) a British subsonic multipurpose military jet plane capable of vertical takeoff and landing by means of vectoring the engine thrust
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
har•ri•er1(ˈhær i ər)
1. a person who or thing that harries.
2. any of several short-winged hawks of the genus Circus, esp. C. cyaneus, of the N hemisphere, that typically hunt over treeless areas.
har•ri•er2(ˈhær i ər)
1. one of a breed of medium-sized hounds similar to a foxhound but smaller and used, usu. in packs, esp. in hunting hares.
2. a cross-country runner.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||harrier - a persistent attacker; "the harassers were not members of the regular army"|
|2.||harrier - a hound that resembles a foxhound but is smaller; used to hunt rabbits|
|3.||harrier - hawks that hunt over meadows and marshes and prey on small terrestrial animals|
hawk - diurnal bird of prey typically having short rounded wings and a long tail
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. (= dog) → lebrel m (inglés)
3. (Orn) → aguilucho m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
(Sport) → Querfeldeinläufer(in) m(f), → Geländeläufer(in) m(f)
(Orn) → Weih m
(= dog) Hund für die Hasenjagd
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007