Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to harvesting: Harvesting of Crops
1. The act or process of gathering a crop.
a. The crop that ripens or is gathered in a season.
b. The amount or measure of the crop gathered in a season.
c. The time or season of such gathering.
3. The result or consequence of an action: stuck with the harvest of a predecessor's decisions.
v. har·vest·ed, har·vest·ing, har·vests
a. To gather (a crop).
b. To take or kill (fish or deer, for example) for food, sport, or population control.
c. To extract from a culture or a living or recently deceased body, especially for transplantation: harvested bone marrow.
2. To gather a crop from (land, for example).
3. To receive or collect (energy): a turbine that harvests energy from tidal currents.
4. To receive (the benefits or consequences of an action). See Synonyms at reap.
To gather a crop.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.