Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.


(Nautical Terms) nautical a strong metal pipe through which an anchor rope passes. Often shortened to: hawse
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014


(ˈhɔzˌpaɪp, ˈhɔs-)

an iron or steel pipe in the stem or bow of a vessel through which an anchor cable passes.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
ThesaurusAntonymsRelated WordsSynonymsLegend:
Noun1.hawsepipe - the hole that an anchor rope passes throughhawsepipe - the hole that an anchor rope passes through
hole - an opening deliberately made in or through something
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
I started working on the Eagle Mar, and I slowly worked my way up, what they call 'through the hawsepipe.'
The destroyer, lipping and snuffling whiteness at the hawsepipes, lunges forward, lifts, plunges deeper, lifts in the tense trembling climax of struggle against the synchronism of the sea, until a green wave explodes on her falling fo'csle.