Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A headhunter who dries and shrinks the heads of enemies.
2. Slang A psychiatrist, especially a psychoanalyst.
1. (Psychiatry) slang a psychoanalyst. Often shortened to: shrink
2. (Anthropology & Ethnology) a head-hunter who shrinks the heads of his victims
v. shrank, often, shrunk; shrunk shrunk•en; shrink•ing; v.i.
1. to contract or lessen in size: cloth that shrinks if washed.
2. to become reduced in extent, compass, or value.
3. to draw back; recoil: to shrink from danger.v.t.
4. to cause to shrink or contract; reduce.
6. an act or instance of shrinking.
8. Slang. a psychotherapist, psychiatrist, or psychoanalyst.
[before 900; Middle English schrinken, Old English scrincan, c. Middle Dutch schrinken, Swedish skrynka to shrink]
syn: See decrease.