headway(redirected from headways)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. Forward movement or the rate of forward movement, especially of a ship.
2. Progress toward a goal.
3. The clear vertical space beneath a ceiling or archway; clearance.
4. The distance in time or space that separates two vehicles traveling the same route.
1. (Nautical Terms) motion in a forward direction: the vessel made no headway.
2. progress or rate of progress: he made no headway with the problem.
3. another name for headroom
4. (Railways) the distance or time between consecutive trains, buses, etc, on the same route
1. forward movement; progress in a forward direction.
2. progress in general: to make headway in a career.
3. the time interval or distance between two vehicles or vessels traveling in the same direction over the same route.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||headway - vertical space available to allow easy passage under something|
|2.||headway - forward movement; "the ship made little headway against the gale"|