heliocentric(redirected from heliocentricity)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
he·li·o·cen·tric(hē′lē-ō-sĕn′trĭk) also he·li·o·cen·tri·cal (-trĭ-kəl)
1. Of or relating to a reference system based at the center of the sun.
2. Having the sun as the center.
he′li·o·cen·tric′i·ty (-trĭs′ĭ-tē) n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Astronomy) having the sun at its centre
2. (Astronomy) measured from or in relation to the centre of the sun
ˌheliocenˈtricity, ˌhelioˈcentriˌcism n
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
he•li•o•cen•tric(ˌhi li oʊˈsɛn trɪk)
1. measured or considered as being seen from the center of the sun.
2. having or representing the sun as a center: a heliocentric concept of the universe.
he`li•o•cen•tric′i•ty (-ˈtrɪs ɪ ti) he`li•o•cen′tri•cism (-trəˌsɪz əm) n.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. In relation to the sun as seen from the sun's center: the heliocentric position of a planet.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.