Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A device for transmitting messages by reflecting sunlight.
2. A device capable of imaging the surface and outer regions of the sun.
v. he·li·o·graphed, he·li·o·graph·ing, he·li·o·graphs
To send (a message) by heliograph.
To send a heliograph.
he′li·og′ra·pher (-ŏg′rə-fər) n.
he′li·og′ra·phy (-ŏg′rə-fē) n.
1. (Navigation) an instrument with mirrors and a shutter used for sending messages in Morse code by reflecting the sun's rays
2. (Astronomy) a device used to photograph the sun
heliographic, ˌhelioˈgraphical adj
he•li•o•graph(ˈhi li əˌgræf, -ˌgrɑf)
1. a device for signaling or sending messages by means of a movable mirror that reflects beams of light, esp. sunlight, over a distance.
2. an instrument for photographing the sun, consisting of a camera and specially adapted telescope.v.t., v.i.
3. to communicate by heliograph.
he`li•og′ra•pher (-ˈɒg rə fər) n.
he`li•o•graph′ic (-ˈgræf ɪk) adj.
A system of sending signals by flashing sunlight from a mirror, used in the 1800s.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||heliograph - an apparatus for sending telegraphic messages by using a mirror to turn the sun's rays off and on|
|Verb||1.||heliograph - signal by means of a mirror and the using the sun's rays|