Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A photomechanically produced plate for pictures or type made by exposing a gelatin film under a negative, hardening it with chrome alum, and printing directly from it.
2. also he·li·o·typ·y (-tī′pē) The process of producing a heliotype.
he′li·o·typ′ic (-tĭp′ĭk) adj.
1. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) Also called: heliotypy a printing process in which an impression is taken in ink from a gelatine surface that has been exposed under a negative and prepared for printing
2. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) the gelatine plate produced by such a process
3. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a print produced from such a plate
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||heliotype - duplicator consisting of a gelatin plate from which ink can be taken to make a copy|