Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
in a right circular cylinder
n. pl. he·lix·es or hel·i·ces (hĕl′ĭ-sēz′, hē′lĭ-)
1. Mathematics A three-dimensional curve that lies on a cylinder or cone, so that its angle to a plane perpendicular to the axis is constant.
2. A spiral form or structure.
3. Anatomy The folded rim of skin and cartilage around most of the outer ear.
4. Architecture A volute on a Corinthian or Ionic capital.
v. he·lixed, he·lix·ing, he·lix·es
To move or position (something) into the shape of a helix.
1. To have the shape of a helix.
2. To move along a helical course; spiral.
n, pl helices (ˈhɛlɪˌsiːz) or helixes
1. (Mathematics) a curve that lies on a cylinder or cone, at a constant angle to the line segments making up the surface; spiral
2. a spiral shape or form
3. (Anatomy) the incurving fold that forms the margin of the external ear
4. (Architecture) another name for volute2
5. (Animals) any terrestrial gastropod mollusc of the genus Helix, which includes the garden snail (H. aspersa)
[C16: from Latin, from Greek: spiral; probably related to Greek helissein to twist]
n., pl. hel•i•ces (ˈhɛl əˌsiz)
1. a spiral.
2. the curve formed by a straight line drawn on a plane when that plane is wrapped around a cylindrical surface, esp. a right circular cylinder, as the curve of a screw.
3. a spiral, scroll-like architectural ornament, as a volute on a Corinthian capital.
4. the curved fold forming most of the rim of the external ear.
5. alpha helix.
[1555–65; < Latin: a spiral, a kind of ivy < Greek hélix anything twisted]
1. A three-dimensional spiral curve. In mathematical terms, a helix can be described as a curve turning about an axis on the surface of a cylinder or cone while rising at a constant upward angle from a base.
2. Something, such as a strand of DNA, having a spiral shape.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||helix - a curve that lies on the surface of a cylinder or cone and cuts the element at a constant angle|
double helix - a pair of parallel helices intertwined about a common axis; "the shape of the DNA molecule is a double helix"
|2.||helix - a structure consisting of something wound in a continuous series of loops; "a coil of rope"|
hank - a coil of rope or wool or yarn
|3.||Helix - type genus of the family Helicidae|
mollusk genus - a genus of mollusks
garden snail - any of several inedible snails of the genus Helix; often destructive pests
brown snail, Helix aspersa - serious garden pest having a brown shell with paler zigzag markings; nearly cosmopolitan in distribution
Helix hortensis - a kind of garden snail