Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A tree or shrub (Lawsonia inermis) of the Middle East, having fragrant white or reddish flowers.
b. A reddish-brown dyestuff prepared from the dried and ground leaves of this plant, used especially in South and Southwest Asia and North Africa to color leather and fabrics, to dye hair, and to decorate the skin.
c. A design drawn on the skin with this dyestuff.
2. A moderate or strong reddish brown to strong brown.
tr.v. hen·naed, hen·na·ing, hen·nas
To dye (hair or skin, for example) with henna.
[Arabic ḥinnā'; akin to ḥana'a, to become green.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) a lythraceous shrub or tree, Lawsonia inermis, of Asia and N Africa, with white or reddish fragrant flowers
2. (Dyeing) a reddish dye obtained from the powdered leaves of this plant, used as a cosmetic and industrial dye
3. (Colours) a reddish-brown or brown colour
vbArchaic name (for senses 1, 2): camphire
(Dyeing) (tr) to dye with henna
[C16: from Arabic hinnā'; see alkanet]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -nas, n.
1. an Asian shrub or small tree, Lawsonia inermis, of the loosestrife family, having elliptic leaves and fragrant flowers.
2. a reddish orange dye made from the leaves of this plant, used esp. in coloring the hair.
3. a color between red-brown and orange-brown.v.t.
4. to tint or dye with henna.
[1590–1600; < Arabic ḥinnā']
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: hennaed
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||henna - a reddish brown dye used especially on hair|
|Verb||1.||henna - apply henna to one's hair; "She hennas her hair every month"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
henna[ˈhenə] N → alheña f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n → henné m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
henna[ˈhɛnə] n → henna
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
hennan (bot) henna
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.