herbaceous(redirected from herbaceously)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to herbaceously: Herbaceous border
1. Relating to or characteristic of an herb as distinguished from a woody plant.
2. Green and leaflike in appearance or texture.
[From Latin herbāceus, from herba, herb.]
1. (Botany) designating or relating to plants or plant parts that are fleshy as opposed to woody: a herbaceous plant.
2. (Botany) (of petals and sepals) green and leaflike
3. (Botany) of or relating to herbs
her•ba•ceous(hɜrˈbeɪ ʃəs, ɜr-)
a. (of a plant or plant part) not woody.
b. having the texture, color, etc., of an ordinary foliage leaf.
2. of or characteristic of an herb.
[1640–50; < Latin herbāceus grassy, like grass =herb(a) grass, herbs + -āceus -aceous]
Describes a plant with little or no wood.