hermaphrodite(redirected from hermaphroditically)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. An animal or plant exhibiting hermaphroditism.
2. Something that is a combination of disparate or contradictory elements.
[Middle English hermofrodite, from Medieval Latin hermofrodītus, from Latin Hermaphrodītus, Hermaphroditus, hermaphrodite; see Hermaphroditus.]
her·maph′ro·dit′ic (-dĭt′ĭk) adj.
1. (Biology) biology an individual animal or flower that has both male and female reproductive organs
2. (Medicine) a person having both male and female sexual characteristics and genital tissues
3. a person or thing in which two opposite forces or qualities are combined
(Biology) having the characteristics of a hermaphrodite
[C15: from Latin hermaphrodītus, from Greek, after Hermaphroditus]
herˌmaphroˈditic, herˌmaphroˈditical adj
1. an individual in which reproductive organs of both sexes are present.
2. an organism, as an earthworm or plant, having normally both the male and female organs of generation.
3. a person or thing in which two opposite qualities are combined.adj.
4. of or characteristic of a hermaphrodite.
5. combining two opposite qualities.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Latin hermaphrodītus < Greek hermaphródītos hermaphrodite, the offspring of Hermes and Aphrodite]
her•maph′ro•dism, her•maph′ro•dit•ism, n.
her•maph`ro•dit′ic (-ˈdɪt ɪk) adj.
An organism, such as an earthworm or flowering plant, having both male and female reproductive organs in a single individual.
An animal that produces male and female gametes.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hermaphrodite - one having both male and female sexual characteristics and organs; at birth an unambiguous assignment of male or female cannot be made|
|Adj.||1.||hermaphrodite - of animal or plant; having both male female reproductive organs|
androgynous - having both male and female characteristics
hermaphrodite[hɜːrˈmæfrədaɪt] n → hermaphrodite m
n. hermafrodita, persona cuyo cuerpo presenta los tejidos ovárico y testicular combinados en un mismo órgano o separadamente.