heterodox(redirected from heterodoxies)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. Not in agreement with accepted beliefs, especially in church doctrine or dogma.
2. Holding unorthodox opinions.
1. (Theology) at variance with established, orthodox, or accepted doctrines or beliefs
2. holding unorthodox opinions
[C17: from Greek heterodoxos holding another opinion, from hetero- + doxa opinion]
het•er•o•dox(ˈhɛt ər əˌdɒks)
1. not in accordance with established doctrines, esp. in theology.
2. holding unorthodox doctrines or opinions.
[1610–20; < Greek heteródoxos of another opinion =hetero- hetero- + -doxos, adj. derivative of dóxa belief, opinion (akin to dokeîn to think, suppose)]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||heterodox - characterized by departure from accepted beliefs or standards|
unorthodox - breaking with convention or tradition; "an unorthodox lifestyle"