heteronomous(redirected from heteronomies)
Also found in: Medical, Legal.
1. Subject to external or foreign laws or domination; not autonomous.
2. Biology Differing in development or structure.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Law) subject to an external law, rule, or authority. Compare autonomous
2. (Biology) (of the parts of an organism) differing in the manner of growth, development, or specialization
3. (Philosophy) (in Kant's philosophy) directed to an end other than duty for its own sake. Compare autonomous4b
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014