hew(redirected from hewed)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms.
strike forcefully with a cutting instrument; to fell; to uphold or conform to rules: hew to the tenets of the church
Not to be confused with:
hue – gradation of a color; tint: It had a pinkish hue.; outcry: the hue and clamor of the crowd
Abused, Confused, & Misused Words by Mary Embree Copyright © 2007, 2013 by Mary Embree
Department of Health, Education, and Welfare
v. hewed, hewn (hyo͞on) or hewed, hew·ing, hews
1. To make or shape with or as if with an axe: hew a path through the underbrush.
2. To cut down with an axe; fell: hew an oak.
3. To strike or cut; cleave.
1. To cut something by repeated blows, as of an axe.
2. To adhere or conform strictly; hold: hew to the line.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
vb, hews, hewing, hewed, hewed or hewn (hjuːn)
1. to strike (something, esp wood) with cutting blows, as with an axe
2. (often foll by: out) to shape or carve from a substance
3. (tr; often foll by away, down, from, off, etc) to sever from a larger or another portion
4. (often foll by: to) US and Canadian to conform (to a code, principle, etc)
[Old English hēawan; related to Old Norse heggva, Old Saxon hāwa, Old High German houwan, Latin cūdere to beat]
(in the US) abbreviation for
(Social Welfare) Department of Health, Education, and Welfare
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
hew(hyu or, often, yu)
v. hewed, hewed hewn, hew•ing. v.t.
1. to strike forcibly with an ax, sword, or other cutting instrument; chop.
2. to make, shape, or smooth with or as if with cutting blows: to hew a statue from marble.
3. to sever (a part) from a whole by means of cutting blows: to hew branches from the tree.
4. to cut down; fell: trees hewed down by the storm.v.i.
5. to strike with cutting blows; cut.
6. to uphold, follow closely, or conform (usu. fol. by to): to hew to the tenets of a political party.
[before 900; Middle English; Old English hēawan, c. Old Saxon hauwan, Old High German houwan, Old Norse hǫggva]
Department of Health, Education, and Welfare.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: hewed/hewn
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||hew - make or shape as with an axe; "hew out a path in the rock"|
carve - form by carving; "Carve a flower from the ice"
|2.||hew - strike with an axe; cut down, strike; "hew an oak"|
snag - hew jaggedly
strike - deliver a sharp blow, as with the hand, fist, or weapon; "The teacher struck the child"; "the opponent refused to strike"; "The boxer struck the attacker dead"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
يَقْطَعُ بِفَأْسيَنْحَتُ، يَشُقُّ طَريقاً
hew[hjuː] (hewed (pt) (hewed) (hewn (pp))) VT (= cut) → cortar; [+ trees] → talar; (= shape, work) → labrar, tallar
hew down VT + ADV → talar
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
hew[ˈhjuː] vt [+ wood] → couper; [+ stone] → tailler
ancient caves hewn from the rock → de vieilles cavernes taillées dans la roche
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
hewpret <hewed>, ptp <hewn or hewed>
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
hew[hjuː] (hewed (pt) (hewed or hewn (pp))) vt (wood) → tagliare; (stone, coal) → scavare; (statue) → scolpire
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
hew(hjuː) – past tense hewed ; past participle hewed ~hewn (hjuːn) – verb
1. to cut with an axe, sword etc. He hewed down the tree. kap, neervel يَقْطَعُ بِفَأْس сека cortar sekat; porazit hauen hugge; kløve τσεκουρώνω, κόβωcortar, tajar, talar raiuma بريدن hakata abattre לַחֲטוֹב कुल्हाड़ी से काटना sjeci, posjeci (ki)vág menebang höggva abbattere 切り倒す (칼, 도끼 등으로) 자르다 kapoti, kirsti cirst mengapak houwenhogge, felle rąbać پرې كول ، غوڅول، توږ ل ، ماتول cortar a tăia, a reteza срубать zoťať sekati poseći sekirom hugga ฟัน kesmek 砍 зрубувати کلہاڑی سے کاٹنا chặt, chém 砍
2. to cut out or shape with an axe, sword etc. He hewed a path through the forest. uitkap, uitbeitel يَنْحَتُ، يَشُقُّ طَريقاً издялвам cortar proklestit hacken udhugge; hugge ανοίγω, λαξεύωtalar raiuma تراشيدن hakata tailler לְעַצֵב कुल्हाड़ी से काटना या आकार बनाना tesati, klesati (utat) vág merambah höggva tagliare; aprire 切って作る ...을 잘라(찍어) 만들다 iškirsti cirst menebas houwen hogge/skjære ut wyrąbywać غوڅول talhar a croi прорубать prekliesniť, (o)kresať utreti s sekiro (pot) iseći sekirom hugga ut โค่น yarmak 砍(劈)出，砍(劈)成 висікати تلوار یا کلہاڑی سے کاٹنا chặt, phát 砍出，开辟
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.